6A Summer Buzz: Making The Cut

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
6A Summer Buzz: Making The Cut
Grine of NMPreps.com

It's Friday and that means we bring another feature as I look aimlessly into the magical crystal ball that we keep in the basement of NMPreps.com. If you have been following along we have handed out 7 spots in the 2016 State Playoffs.

It is part of our way too early look at the teams predicted to do well when the football season kicks-off. Several new coaches, returning prospects and player rankings are taken into account.

Grine:
Which of Last Year's Cellar Teams Make the Playoffs in 2016? | What Teams Return To The Playoffs in 2016?

Recap
Cleveland (IN)
Mayfield (IN)

Carlsbad (IN)
Las Cruces (IN)
Rio Rancho (IN)
Eldorado (IN)
Clovis (IN)

Overview: One team comes from the group that didn't make the playoffs last season as I took the reach on Carlsbad in the second year under Bradley.

More IN, Less Bubble

Volcano Vista Hawks (6-5): Early Buy

The Volcano Vista Hawks are our 8th team on the board in terms of who I feel confident in making the state tournament come November. Why? Well, I've leaned heavy on defensive returners for teams to make the playoffs in 2016. I flip the script here and give the nod to offensive duo in Chris Streetz (RB) who ran for over 500-yards and ranked 33rd on 2017 returning prospects. Next, we go to the 5th ranked prospect from the 2017 in receiver David Cormier who had over 659-yards and 5 touchdowns a year ago. You also have to consider a talented 2018 class with a defensive power in Joren Dickey who recorded near close to double digits in sacks.

Centennial Hawks (12-1): Even Buy

Centennial is looking to capture some of its 2015 magic playing for the 5A State Championship. However, there will be an adjustment period but to say this team can't win 6/7 games next season will be hard to imagine. It might be a reach of a buy for some and a lot of that will come down to the play of the Hawks starting quarterback in Dante Lopez (Ranked 6th in 5A to end last season) who threw for 2,000-yards and 30 touchdowns. Combine that for a 1-2 punch wit Junior Pena a receiver who caught for 662-yards and 12-touchdowns, ranked 7th on the Top 100 returning prospects.

Valley Vikings (3-7): Automatic Buy

Fresh off a quick break from carrying the load of a head coach Judge Chavez takes the reins as the new head coach of the Valley Vikings. Required to give an automatic bid to each district champion we go with a familiar choice in the Vikings. However, this district will be more competitive this season with a growing Highland and Albuquerque High programs. Head coach Chavez has done big things with quality quarterbacks and he returns one in Isaiah Chavez who passed for 1540 yards last season.

More Bubble, But IN

Onate Knights (4-6): Trend Up Buy

The Onate Knights had success under first-year head coach Brent Jaques and we predict they continue this up trend. It was difficult but we picked them over Hobbs but it was close with the fact that they will be district foes this season and Onate will quickly have to forget 41-21 loss to the Eagles last season. So now to why we gave them the nod, we head to the defensive side of the ball. Forest McKee (LB/#2), James Martin (DL/#27) and Jamie Villela (DB/#39) are just three of a handful of prospects returning from the Top-60 players in 2015.

La Cueva Bears (3-7): Buy Low

Okay, the La Cueva Bears are the biggest "bubblish" of teams right now. They won 3-games last season and play in an improved district with the likes of Clovis, Eldorado and the surprise out right now in Sandia. Much like Onate they have to beat out a team in district to get the bid. Chris Campbell (QB/#36) returns on the offensive side of the ball, throwing for 700-yards last season. Plenty from the class of 2018 returning that could have an impact on this season

More OUT, Less Bubble

Hobbs, Sandia and Cibola: These three will be looking for that IN-win all season but Hobbs lost some offensive weapons. Sandia the biggest surprise that I wouldn;t be surprised if they made it. Cibola, I like coach Rod Williams and the RB but man the district only gets better with Piedra Vista.

Uncertainty

Piedra Vista, Albuquerque, Atrisco Heritage, Gadsden, Manzano: Manzano has several interesting pieces that make me think they should be in the group above. Piedra Vista has some serious returners that are being recruited by Texas Tech but the giants of Rio Rancho, Cleveland and others in 1-6A await.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News