ADVERTISEMENT

An Open Letter To The "Concerned South Valley Resident"

harleygirl13

High School Head Coach
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2006
If you are, or know this individual, please feel free to pass along these words.

First of all, thank you for your feedback. I am happy to know that my husband is getting free rent inside your head. Unfortunately for you, he laughed off your letter because anonymous letters are the work of chickensh!ts and really don't carry any value in his world. Sign your name if you want to be taken seriously. Better yet, if you are truly concerned about the team, perhaps a more productive use of your time would be to offer to help out in some capacity instead of writing anonymous letters.

Please allow me to address some of your points:

1 – I know there is some agenda because you feel that my husband assisted in the firing of Randy Gutierrez. You have mentioned it several times. I assure you that there is no truth in that. The only part that my husband played was mopping up the financial disaster that the program was in at the time. Fortunately he has a degree in math so he's pretty good with numbers. Moreover, aside from the financial issues, my husband took Randy aside to advise and caution him about the other issues on which Randy had been previously counseled by the administration. He did all he could to help Randy when he saw the warning signs. Randy chose to ignore the warnings and corrective action and as such, consequences were doled out as the administration saw fit at the time.

2 – Reality check: Randy Gutierrez did not build an "incredible program" at RGHS. He had a few good years, to his credit, but the last four years at RGHS, the Ravens went 1-9, 4-6, 2-7 and 2-8 (those last two wins were my husband's as he was interim coach). Randy's best years were with the group with Adrian Baca, Jeff Acosta, etc. I think I could have won with those guys. They were great. My husband actually gives Randy a lot of credit when he speaks of him. Much more than he deserves in my opinion.

3 – My husband is not a Valley guy. Our kids went to and currently go to Valley because of where we live and where I'm from but I guarantee you he is a RGHS guy through and through. Proud Class of 1992. Active member and participant in the alumni association. Wears red and black almost every single day. Car and motorcycle icense plates all dedicated to his status as a Raven. Custom jackets, sweaters, the list goes on and on. I would challenge anyone to show me how they support and cherish their status as a Raven alum more than my husband. Or as an alumnus of any high school for that matter. I support Valley and he supports our kids and the VHS coaches as colleagues and friends but I can tell you that it is a house divided when VHS and RGHS play. What my husband doesn't do is hand out grades that students don't deserve. I know that has caused issues when eligibility is in jeopardy but he holds his students to a high standard and makes them accountable for their actions and lack of action. That has caused other coaches to accuse him of not backing up the Valle del Sur but in the end he is a teacher and has to sleep at night.

I hope that we can get back to supporting the Rio Grande football team. They are young and making progress. It is with hope that this program can be resurrected at some point in the next few years. The coach is passionate about football and passionate about Rio Grande. Please feel free to look me up at the next game. I would be happy to continue this discussion in person.

Warmest Regards,
Nanci Mascareñas

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News