ADVERTISEMENT

Blind side

Zebra9809

High School Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2013
Las Cruces, NM
Thoughts on the new blind side block rule.A blindside block is a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching.

My thoughts, think the rule is great for safety purposes, it is difficult to know or judge if they SEE the blocker coming.
Does this make the block on a trap play illegal?

Reactions: ITSC-Ret
My thoughts, think the rule is great for safety purposes, it is difficult to know or judge if they SEE the blocker coming.
The way I read it "the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone."

The new rule that confuses me is:

2-24-10 (NEW), 6-1-11 (NEW), 6-1 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a pop-up kick and specifies a penalty for a pop-up kick.

Rationale: Continuing with the committee’s efforts to minimize risk, a pop-up kickoff has been defined. A pop-up kick is a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee. Such kicks will be penalized as a dead-ball free-kick infraction.

Isn't that what you want from a good onside kick??!!

The new rule that confuses me is:

2-24-10 (NEW), 6-1-11 (NEW), 6-1 PENALTY: Added a new definition for a pop-up kick and specifies a penalty for a pop-up kick.

Rationale: Continuing with the committee’s efforts to minimize risk, a pop-up kickoff has been defined. A pop-up kick is a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee. Such kicks will be penalized as a dead-ball free-kick infraction.

Isn't that what you want from a good onside kick??!!

With this kind of kick you could have a blindside block. on the lickoff..lol

Last edited:
At the rules clinic they said the rule doesn't apply within the tackle box.

I saw a guy get his leg broke in five places on a crack back block Then had to wait half an hour for a ambulance to get from Clovis to black water draw.

ADVERTISEMENT