ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollment

Audit Man

High School Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2007
As of today, 8-21-17, Hobbs High School has 2,725 students enrolled. I believe that is more than last year, but I might be mistaken.

Reactions: kyle h and Joey C
These 40 days may make a world of difference for a couple years here in Santa Fe. SFHS and Capital can be greatly affected...

I heard that the other day. Not sure what the reason is.
How many schools in NM have four football teams? I know Rio Rancho and Cleveland do. None of the Albuquerque schools do (a few just have two teams).

I think Clovis has 6 if I'm not mistaken, Varsity, JV, two Sophomore teams and two freshman teams. Correct me if I'm wrong cat19

Artesia has a varsity, JV and a soph team. They also have 2 9th grade teams.

Does the school or boosters cover all the expenses of all these teams or does each kid have to pay so much or fundraise a certain amount to play.

Kids do not pay for anything athletics related at CMS.

The school funds the programs. Boosters cannot fund anything that is essential to play games such as equipment.

In Artesia all teams are funded by the school. Fundraising is for extras like Video equipment, motivational material or other special equipment.

Reactions: Barrett50
Thank you guys for responding, I'm not going to speak for all the aps schools but I know that at some of the schools kids have to come up with so much money to play, I know that in most situations they are given opportunities to fundraise or get sponsorships from people to come up with the money and that presents a big problem in getting kids to play because a lot of these kids have enough trouble trying to keep up with school and find the time to participate in sports so asking them to fundraise is like pulling teeth so the parent ends up footing the bill and a lot of them can't afford it or won't do it and with this happening in every other sport and activity fundraising and sponsorship opportunities in certain areas becomes very limited, when my kids played I always just payed for it even though to tell the truth none of my kids were very interested in sports and it was more for me than them which presents a whole other set of problems, I also on occasion payed for other kids to play but there are not enough people willing or able to do that.
Coaches cant do it all as most of them barely have enough time to coach and make a living.Not moaning or groaning just wandering what solutions there might be to get these kids on the field.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for responding, I'm not going to speak for all the aps schools but I know that at some of the schools kids have to come up with so much money to play, I know that in most situations they are given opportunities to fundraise or get sponsorships from people to come up with the money and that presents a big problem in getting kids to play because a lot of these kids have enough trouble trying to keep up with school and find the time to participate in sports so asking them to fundraise is like pulling teeth so the parent ends up footing the bill and a lot of them can't afford it or won't do it and with this happening in every other sport and activity fundraising and sponsorship opportunities in certain areas becomes very limited, when my kids played I always just payed for it even though to tell the truth none of my kids were very interested in sports and it was more for me than them which presents a whole other set of problems, I also on occasion payed for other kids to play but there are not enough people willing or able to do that.
Coaches can do it all as most of them barely have enough time to coach and make a living.Not moaning or groaning just wandering what solutions there might be to get these kids on the field.
APS needs to break up into 2 separate school districts. The recent news of 4 quadrant mini-districts is a step in the right direction. But ultimately a smaller district can manage its funds more effectively. APS is just too darn big.

Last edited:
APS needs to break up into 2 separate school districts. The recent news 4 quadrant mini-districts is a step in the right direction. But ultimately a smaller district can manage its funds more effectively. APS is just too darn big.
That's the stock answer for any perceived problem with APS. But if Albuquerque schools were currently divided into several districts, people would be clamoring for consolidation for more efficient management and spending.

Reactions: El Muchacho
There are 1305 stadiums in TXHSFB, w/ a combined capacity of 4.13M that is more than Oklahoma's entire population!

Not sure two districts is the solution for APS' financial issues.

I think the "APS should split into 2 or more districts" ship has sailed for now. I don't hear people talking about it as much anymore. People in my neighborhood association were very involved in the debate several years ago but with APS building the west side elementary schools, Tony Hillerman MS, and the new K-8 across from the West Side stadium, many of the concerns they voiced back then have been addressed. Of course their concerns at the time seemed to be lack of new west side facilities and not educational quality (based on my own observations) but if someone champions educational quality as the need to split, it might pick up steam again but so far, it seems to have died down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT