ADVERTISEMENT

Feature Moore: What Kind of Dog Are You?

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
What Kind of Dog Are You?
John Moore

In football we often describe players as dogs, or dawgs if you please. But what kind of dog are you? As coaches, it is essential to not only know what kind of dogs we have running around the field house, but what kind of dog we are. I have given this lecture on personality style many times and have added the dog portion myself. I am going to use some very general dog stereotypes and don’t want to offend any dog type or dog owner, so before you start yelling about how sweet your chihuahua is, remember I am just trying to make a point.

I am using an idea credited to William Moulton Marston circa 1928. The idea of four basic types of personality was repeated in Communication Application (Glencoe/McGraw Hill). We can all display the four types of personality depending on the situation and there is plenty of gray area. The question is, what type of coach do we want to be most of the time. DISC personality tests are available online but you probably will be able to identify where you fall most of time without the test.

The First Type of Dog: The Dominant Dog (D) – Better stay away from my food!
The two breeds of dog that come to mind are the German Shepherd and the Chihuahua. These dogs are described as mean. They have threatening barks and snarls and are extremely protective. D type coaches are task oriented. They simply want the job done and don’t care if they hurt feelings as long as they get their way. All coaches can be D dogs, especially when they feel their team needs discipline.

The Second Type of Dog: The Influencer or Interactive Dog (I) – Let’s play a new game, you are great! These are your Beagles and English Bulldogs. They are known for being friendly dogs, with people and other pets alike. The I type coach is the motivator. These coaches are people oriented, they want to be liked, and are greatly concerned about the morale of all those around.

The Third Type of Dog: The Stable or Steady Dog (S) – Everything is good, I have my ball. This is the Labrador Retriever. These dogs get along in nearly all situations. The are both task oriented and people oriented. All people can be S dogs at one time or another depending on the circumstances. When not in a position of power, the S type is the easiest to sustain. Head coaches with S type personality can get along well in different circumstances, but are not always known as great leaders. The Fourth Type of Dog: The Conscientious or Control Dog (C) - When do I get to pull the sled? These are your Huskies and Blue Heelers. Like the D dog, these dogs are very task oriented. If you leave them alone, they will get the job done. They shy away from others who are not task oriented. Coaches with C type personalities are meticulous planners and want all tasks completed without excuse.

Once you figure out what kind of dog you are, you will be able to find out what kind of dogs you are dealing with every day. Next time you are at a faculty meeting you will be able to point out what type of dog your fellow teachers, coaches, and administrators are. When the principal starts talking about the upcoming pep rally you will see all the C dogs visibly, negatively react and all the I dogs light up
with joy, while the S dogs ask if they can wear jeans on that day. D dogs can either take control of the pep rally schedule or join the C dogs trying to figure out how they can get out of it.

As a leader, you must be able to deal with all types. Here is a brief breakdown. Remember dogs and people are interchangeable terms.

If you are a D dog, you will be criticized for not caring enough, or being mean and you already know this. There is no need to change your personality, but to show you can be an influencer and a motivator will be extremely powerful. No matter what anyone says, even the mean dog needs love.

If you are an I dog, you have already figured out that if you can sell your message hard enough, you will be successful. You have also figured out that D dogs and C dogs criticize you for not being consistent and worrying too much about hurting feelings. I dogs must create structure just like anybody else. Showing moments of toughness and focus on a goal go a long way.

If you are an S dog, you will hear the following criticism, “He is a good person and all, but he just doesn’t have what it takes.” They will then say either you do not know how to motivate or you are not determined enough. S dogs are the most loyal kind of dog, but the challenge is finding dogs to be loyal to you. Do not be afraid to put yourself in challenging situations, show a little cockiness, you can stay humble, but these moments of confidence and displays of leadership are very valuable.

Finally if you are a C dog, remember that it is not all about work. Your criticism comes from people who think you are too focused on minutiae and not enough on your players. You have an advantage over many coaches because of your dedication to your craft. You spend more hours watching film, designing practice schedules, and drawing up schemes than most. Now, how do you get all those I dogs and S dogs to follow you? They are people oriented, so when you step out of the office, give them the culture that allows them to be them. Also, a show of emotion from the C dog is very effective.

All dogs are good dogs, they don’t always get along. The successful coach realizes that he is the leader of a group of diverse dogs and the leader gets along with all of them. All types are valuable to your program, give them what they need.

Sources:
History of DiSC® - DiSC Profile , discprofile.com
Communication Applications 1st Edition, Glenco McGraw-Hill
JT Speedy Faith

Reactions: kgarcia
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.