ADVERTISEMENT

Numbers

hotel312

High School Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
What are the roster numbers this year? Most of 3A is between 35-45 athletes. Heard Loving was having a tough time kids out. Would they consider moving to 2A? What about Gateway, Hagerman? Roswell had close to a 100 9-12

A team just cant move to 2A because of low participation numbers. School enrollment determines the level of play. There are some 5 and 6A schools that are hovering between 40-50 kids for 2-3 teams.

Reactions: Coach G34
A team just cant move to 2A because of low participation numbers. School enrollment determines the level of play. There are some 5 and 6A schools that are hovering between 40-50 kids for 2-3 teams.
hasn't there been some teams that play down in football (ex 3A) but play basketball at a higher level (ex 4A)

hasn't there been some teams that play down in football (ex 3A) but play basketball at a higher level (ex 4A)
A school can petition to play down as long as there has been a replacement playing up. Case in point, Valley is a 5A school by enrollment numbers but competes all sports at 6A, while in turn Deming is a 6A school by enrollment numbers, but has petitioned to play in 5A because of Valley wanting to play up. Same is the case with Clayton 3A(up) and Mora 2A(down).

Things will get really weird when only Football is 6A, and all other sports cap at 5A next school year 2018-19.

Hard not to admire their toughness
Coach Weems and I played ball at Portales in the 80"s. Tough, hard nosed football is what we know. He has those kids playing at a high level!!
I'm a big time believer in that teams take on the personalities of their coaches. So there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Weems is one hard nosed coach.

What are the roster numbers this year? Most of 3A is between 35-45 athletes. Heard Loving was having a tough time kids out. Would they consider moving to 2A? What about Gateway, Hagerman? Roswell had close to a 100 9-12

Roswell High has 98 kids out for football this year among all divisions.

Gateway has about the same as last year, and GCS is already playing up in 8-man and 2A in basketball. I don't think the NMAA will allow them to make another jump to 2A football. Although, the way Coach Wigley works those guys and as many times as they have reached the State Championship, there is no doubt they would compete in 2A football after a few years in the classification.

You can't petition to play down. A school can petition to play up and then the NMAA will offer the smallest at the upper class the opportunity to play down.

So would this be like Clayton requesting to remain a 3A and the NMAA offered the smallest 3A a chance to play 2A?

Would they only offer to the smallest school in the class with a football program or could they offer like a Penasco who doesn't have football to move down?

So would this be like Clayton requesting to remain a 3A and the NMAA offered the smallest 3A a chance to play 2A?

Would they only offer to the smallest school in the class with a football program or could they offer like a Penasco who doesn't have football to move down?
I think the smallest of the larger class has the NMAA version of Right of First Refusal... Deming isn't the smallest 6A, but the others lower declined so they got the chance to accept...

Last edited:

Yes that is exactly the scenario. Football and the rest of the sports have different alignment so I don't know exactly how they would choose who to offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT