ADVERTISEMENT

WEEK 13 - Saturday Swish

Apollo221

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Feb 13, 2013
Albuquerque
Notable Friday Results

Rio Rancho defeated Cleveland, 44-41 and held on to a share of first place in district. They'll play in a playoff game for the 1-seed in the district tournament on Tuesday at Atrisco Heritage against Volcano Vista.

West Mesa defeated La Cueva, 43-36 and hold on to second place outright. A Farmington win over PV would allow West Mesa to claim a share of first place and force a playoff for first place in Gallup on Monday (per Albuquerque Journal).

Alamogordo defeated Deming, 63-33 to secure second place in district ahead of Centennial and Onate.

Carlsbad got the stunning dominant win on the road in Hobbs, 56-48. The win gives Carlsbad a share of first and forces a playoff game to be played Monday at Roswell.

Pojoaque Valley got the road win at Los Alamos, 49-35 to claim the regular season district title.

Portales held off Lovington with a 45-40 win at the RAC to clinch the regular season district title.

Eunice defeated Loving, 54-52 to force a three-way tie atop the district 4-2A standings.

Texico was dominant in their road win at Pecos with a 58-32 win to claim the regular season district title outright.

Friday's Top Players

Carlsbad's Carsyn Boswell dropped 27 points in Tasker Arena for the win over Hobbs.

Hobbs' 8th grade talent, Wisdom Anthony led the Lady Eagles with 19 points in the loss.

Calysta Jacob of Alamogordo had 19 points on Senior Night in a win against Deming. Faith Silva added 17 points of her own for Alamogordo.

Goddard's Bailey Beene stuffed the stat sheet with 18 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 blocks, and 2 steals in a loss to Artesia. Goddard's freshman standout, Alexis Sandoval added 18 points of her own as well.

Laura Gutierrez once again led Rio Rancho with 16 points in a win over rival Cleveland.

Alize Ruiz put up 20 points in the final regular season district win over Las Cruces.

What To Watch Tonight

Piedra Vista at Farmington
Let's keep this simple. PV wins, they win district outright. Farmington wins, the Lady Scorps don't benefit nearly as much as they're locked in third place no matter the result. PV losing would allow West Mesa to claim a share of first place and force a playoff game at a neutral location. Gallup on Monday is what I read.

Shiprock at Miyamura
Winner claims third place outright, barring an Aztec upset of Gallup in Gallup. Miyamura has decent position in the state tournament, but a loss to Miyamura would be borderline catastrophic to their chances of even MAKING the state tournament given Shiprock's resume against the projected last four teams. I hate the cliche, but it's must-win for Miyamura.

Grants at Belen
This is a big game for a Grants team that I had outside of the tournament field in early January. A Pirates win and they'll share second place with St. Pius X. A loss, and they're stuck in third place. Their final district position would be critical to their seeding. Belen on the other had is fairly tired of losing and this last game at home might be just enough to spur the Lady Eagles to spoil their district foe's aspirations.

Cuba at East Mountain
Okay, so East Mountain's social media account is stating that they won't play this game. That it is cancelled and won't be made up and immediately moved on to when they'll play in the district tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't play a full district schedule aren't you unable to make the postseason? It's a new rule they placed forcing teams to play their full district schedule if they want to be postseason eligible. Maybe I'm making something outta nothing, but if Cuba agreed wouldn't they risk their eligibility? Or is there some kind of inclement weather clause that provides an out? Just curious for those who may know the fines lines in the bylaws. I know Santa Fe Prep didn't finish their season either in District 2-3A.

The "And Don't Forget" Quick Picks...

Manzano at Albuquerque - A Manzano win would force a tie with Albuquerque for second place in the standings, but Manzano would get the 2-seed in the district tournament due to head-to-head record with Albuquerque. Albuquerque secures district runner-up as well as the 2-seed in the district tournament with a win.

Rehoboth Christian at Dulce - Dulce already has district locked up no matter the result. Rehoboth Christian needs a win to avoid sharing second place with Newcomb and Tse' Yi' Gai.

Mora at Mesa Vista - In a stunning turn, Mora can move up to third place with a win against Mesa Vista. They could even claim it outright if Coronado were to upset Escalante.

Des Moines at Roy/Mosquero - It was a close one point loss in overtime the last time Roy/Mosquero met up with Des Moines. Now back home to close out district and their series, Roy/Mosquero can force a tie for second place and secure the 2-seed in the district tournament if they win by more than 1 point.

Reactions: Melina1218
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News