ADVERTISEMENT

Does UNM show a lack of respect or are they striking out?

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
The top four players in the state signed DI offers. I understand Monroe Young going to the Pac-12, a power 5. However, the Lobos strike out against NMSU and conference foe San Diego State for the other three. Did they come to late, not come at all or didn't show the recruiting efforts as others? Maybe, they just wanted to get out. However, in the past two recruiting classes UNM has now 1 scholarship player from each graduating class.

I believe we have other DI level type of players left on the board that hold D2 offers. Will they go the preferred walk-on route again?

NMSU and UNM reversed roles in recruiting New Mexico kids? They have one of the top four this year and four of the seven DI players last season (2017 class) - Matt Young, Trevor Brohard, Gaven Swinson and Josh Foley. UNM's game plan last season was the preferred walk-on route. Will that work again this year?

I am not knocking my alma mater and just asking the question in the roundtable. Why are we not going hard after athletes in our own backyard. I'm not saying offer everyone but go hard after the top-5. Maybe they are? Are they? When they do offer - maybe besides Byrd - they come after others offer.

QUESTION FOR YOU

Do you support UNM or NMSU more when they have NM kids? I personally do, I watch a lot of college football and will watch ENMU, NMHU games and went to the NMSU bowl game this season. Mostly to keep tabs on NM kids.

SECOND QUESTION

Last, why the lack of respect for NM prospects? Two prospects left the state in Cade Barnard and Torry Locklin then gained big offers. Locklin (Mayfield) recently earned one from Kansas, Barnard had a handful.

Also, will Western New Mexico offer any NM kids? Why does it seem they show a lack of respect - D2 wise? New Mexico Highlands has jumped on board offering several prospects recently. The model Eastern New Mexico recruits the state well and also wins. So jump on board, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: ITSC-Ret
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News