ADVERTISEMENT

Feature Grine's Top 20 Teams in New Mexico High School Football

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
Grine's Top 20 Teams in New Mexico High School Football

NMPreps publisher Joshua Grine's top-20 teams in New Mexico high school football. This ranking is not associated with our NMPreps weekly classification rankings. I will break this down in two different features. This one will rank 1-20 the best teams in New Mexico high school football. The second feature will be my original Mohs Hardness Scale aka ranking title contenders.

(1) Cleveland Storm (record: 3-1 overall)

Despite the week one loss to Centennial in the final minutes, the Storm have plenty of talent. Nic Trujillo is the real deal on the outside and is consider one, if not the top, wide receiver in the New Mexico this season. I like the Storm to continue getting better each week. Here is what they've done since that opening night loss; beat Las Cruces, in Las Cruces, 46 to 3, traveled to Amarillo, Texas to beat the Sandies 47-30, and started off the new win streak with a win over La Cueva 33-29.

(2) La Cueva Bears (record: 3-1 overall)

La Cueva is loaded. Despite losing a key piece to the roster over the summer the Bears feature some serious talent in the likes of Aidan Armenta (2023) and newcomers Ian Sanchez (2023/WR) and Miyuh Robertson (2023/RB). The Bears have a close loss to my number one team in the state but the Bears are still a favorite to play on the final weekend.

(3) Centennial Hawks (record: 3-1 overall)

Would we be sitting here had they not lost to La Cueva in week 3? Likely, the are sitting at the top, but here we are and we still could have a case for them as the best team in the state. What I like about this team is the ability to overcome momentum swings. RB Mikah Gutierrez makes the "DUDES" list through four weeks.

(4) Volcano Vista Hawks (record: 3-1 overall)

Okay, even kill to this point in the rankings when compared to the NMPreps weekly 6A Rankings. However, we can't deny the fact that they Hawks are a sleeper when it comes to semifinal hopeful teams. After a hot start the week four loss to La Cueva settled them in the four slot.

(5) Hobbs Eagles (record: 4-0 overall)

Okay, now we have some changes. The hire of Ken Stevens brought with it plenty of excitement after he built a power at Eunice High School. Despite taking sometime to get the engine going, the engine is running as smooth as butter. Much like those Eunice teams the Eagles are averaging 55.75 points per game! Two wins against teams featured in our top-20 -- Roswell and Artesia.

(6) Artesia Bulldogs (record: 3-1 overall)

Without further ado, our first non-6A squad makes the list. Some posters have said it best this week -- "Maupin has the dogs going" or something along those lines. I have to agree with that statement and the reason I cannot wait to see them in action against Cleveland this week. Friday night plans booked. Nye Estrada is also making a case for NMPreps/Rivals New Mexico Mr. Football.

(7) Rio Rancho Rams (record: 3-1 overall)

The Rams have improved since the first week when we seen them fall to La Cueva 30-7. New head coach Nate Pino has made strides and three straight wins for the Rams puts them in the middle tier of 6A football.

(8) Carlsbad Cavemen (record: 2-2 overall)

The Cavemen? Yep, new head coach Oliver Soukup was a home run hire this off-season. The squad is playing well and despite a 2-2 record the Cavemen could find themselves hosting a playoff game on the first week of November. Key win over Goddard.

(9) Cibola Cougars (record: 4-0 overall)

Okay, what gives Grine? The Cougars are currently ranked 5th this week in the NMPreps class 6A rankings. Well, two comeback wins over Farmington and West Mesa has us questioning if they are second or third tier. Picture five tiers in the class with 1 being the best or contenders and 5 being teams on the outside. Right now they are in the middle. Aden Chavez (2023/QB) is just warming up though and coming off a hot weekend passing for over 400-yards. Could be a riser. Wait and see.

(10) Roswell Coyotes (record: 3-1 overall)

It was tough coming up with my tenth team on the list. I finally settled on the Coyotes despite the looming loss to Hobbs (51-7). In the long haul most will say that it only makes them better. In this case it means that we have a serious gap in the very good teams and the next group. I still like the Coyotes to challenge for a title. Yes, I will likely make the trip to the Artesia-Roswell contest later this season.

======

11) Piedra Vista (4-0)
12) Goddard (3-1)
13) Sandia (2-1)
14) Alamogordo (3-1)
15) Las Cruces (0-3)
16) Atrisco Heritage (3-1)
17) West Mesa (2-2)
18) Mayfield (2-2)
19) Los Lunas (2-2)
20) St. Michael's (4-0)
21) Bloomfield (4-0)