ADVERTISEMENT

Feature Two-Minute Drill for Week 3

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
Best (0-2) team that will make the playoffs?

Grine: In 6A Football the obvious choice would have to be the Eldorado Eagles. The two losses come against Cibola (39-29) in week one and Rio Rancho (34-17) during week 2. This weekend they will take on Atrisco Heritage (1-1) in what becomes a make or potentially break, when it comes to playoffs. Other teams that are in our most likely to make the playoffs without a win teams - Las Cruces (0-1) and Clovis (0-2). 5A football has Santa Teresa and Santa Teresa has a chance to be featured again next week. They will play another tough game, this time against 4A power Lovington (0-2). Also, Lovington represents 4A in this conversation after two of the toughest games to start a season. The Wildcats squared off against Roswell and Seminole, Texas.

Teams that are improved and playing for a playoff spot in week 2?

Grine: Yeah, there is a lot of football to be played before we can start playoff talk. So today, I start more playoff talk. We've mentioned this once or twice Thursday morning but Albuquerque (1-0) and Sandia (1-1) has the potential to be a play-in game. I feel that was a possibility last season too. Albuquerque was an underdog in week one and now find themselves in the same situation against Sandia. The winner improves their playoff chances and moves the percentage of them making it closer to the lock section. Sandia is looking for a huge bounce-back game. Another team that I like that could be 2-1 by Sunday morning is the Alamogordo Tigers. Last week proved that they are back on the rise after playing close with top-5 ranked Los Lunas last week.

Playoff, Play-In, Resume Level Game. Who is making the playoffs in 2022?

Grine: By now many are likely echoing Mora's famous press conference -- playoffs? Yeah, it's the topic in this weeks questions of the week. Volcano Vista (2-0) and Carlsbad (1-1) enters the conversation of my "extra attention games". I know I will be focused on this outcome and following along closely. Carlsbad has peaked our interest as a potential player in that southern district as a playoff team. Goddard (1-1) and Deming (1-1) will square it out on Friday night in Deming. The Deming Wildcats had some hype as a top-5 team entering the season, can they rebound in upset fashion? Goddard, also coming off a loss will look to make a statement as a true 5A title contender.

===

What will we learn from the Portales (2-0) and West Las Vegas (2-0) game? -- In short I say that we will get a better picture of just how good each team is this season. Evenly matched game that will be a good test.

Can the Lions (Santa Rosa) really upset Robertson? -- I will say that Santa Rosa is much improved. Better than predicted. Robertson is very good though. I have the urge to attend this game.

Should the Silver-Cobre game have more excitement surrounding it? Both look like playoff squads that could win a game or two. I say, this one has excitement and both could create excitement the entire season. Yes, this is one of the must play regional games but it could create buzz for the rest of the season.

West Mesa (1-1) and Cibola (2-0) should be mentioned. Or should they? West Mesa had a chance to really surprise us but fell last week. I will say 1-1 is better than 0-2. They are improved but Cibola looks to be moving on all cylinders, outplaying those predictions that hinted at maybe a let down year. With or without Chavez. More without Williams (Roderick). However, Chris Howe has them playing well.

===