ADVERTISEMENT

5 Most Improved Teams in 2016

Who Will Be The Most Improved Team Out Of The Following?

• La Cueva Bears

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Valencia Jaguars

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Belen Eagles

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • St. Michael's Horsemen

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Santa Rosa Lions

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
5 Most Improved Teams in 2016
Grine of NMPreps.com

rhywffd8pd8s8kbq7kku

The Horsemen return a ton of talent following a 6-6 season in 2015

Today, we take a look at the five teams who could be the most improved by wins, a playoff birth or all of the above. It is another piece where we give our prediction on the 2016 season.

More: 5 Wild Card Teams for 2016

LA CUEVA

The Bears were once considered the Albuquerque Metro Area power winning titles in 2009, 2004 and 2003. However, the addition of new high schools and changing of the head coach hasn't been kind to the Bears. Looking at 2016 however and we could see a huge step forward from a 3-7 season in 2015. Looking ahead I could predict 5/6 wins doubling their win total from 2015. Josh Woisin at Running Back, Chris Campbell, and Derek Loildolt have looked solid in the summer time.

VALENCIA

The Valencia Jaguars made a splash of a hire last summer and we could see a huge jump during year two. The Jaguars won 2-games last season during the transition but to expect 2-wins in 2016 is unthinkable. Their full schedule has yet to be released to us but I could see 5-wins at the least with a possibility fighting for top-3 slot in 5-5A. Zach Lowe is a name to know.

BELEN

Staying south 1-25 in the Albuquerque Metro area in Valencia County the Belen Eagles might be the team on this list that will not only double win total but return to the playoffs. Greg Hennington is the new head coach, hired this offseason to replace John Lerma who went 3-7 last season. I would see 6-wins if I had to predict but a new head coach is hard to predict.

ST. MICHAEL'S

Yes, this might be a surprise to have on this list of teams that will be "improved" but the reason we place them here because at .500 in 2015 at 6-6 we could see 7/8-wins with a possibility of either the State Championship, buy low, or semi-final team. They return the number one ranked player from the 2017 class for 4A football in 225 pound linebacker Xavier Vigil.

SANTA ROSA

It is rare to see the Lions under .500 at the end of a season and going 5-7 in 2015 was a drop for the program that once had the 3-peat. This team is destined to return to the top of a talented classification with several skilled players returning including their QB Jacob Esquibel (Sr), Eric Lopez (Jr/RB) and Joaquin Romo (So/WR). This team will be over .500 and play deep into the State Tournament in 2016 and that's a buy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News