• Total voters

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
District 2-6A Predictions for 2016
Joshua J Grine of NMPreps

Today, we take a look at District 2-6A and give our predictions for what the 2016 season could bring us. We tackle some questions, ask some at the same time and decide how the district will shape up.

More: District 3-6A | District 4-6A Predictions

Three Questions That Will Shape The District

1. How far ahead is the favorite? Eldorado enters as the favorite being ranked 3rd in the Top-50 this preseason and after playing for the state championship they should be. However, the gap is not far in this district as Clovis, Manzano and Sandia are both within striking distance. Also, La Cueva is not far off creating a few uncertainties to who the favorites are. I could see some teams taking losses to each other along the way. The district is going to be fun with many styles of play. Clovis the RB's, La Cueva bringing the spread and Sandia the weapons just to name a few.

2. How many at-large bids? You could see any of those five listed above as a playoff team. Eldorado, Clovis and Sandia right now are the favorites to get bids in any order. La Cueva and Manzano could also be in the mix. Right now you could make a case for any of the teams entering the season. It could depend on how these teams do during their pre-district schedule. It's hard to say how many bids - four districts, twelve bids. Let's just say that comes to 3 per district, then you likely subtract from 4-6A, that is a one/two bid league at its best.

3. Who's the top prospect from the District 2-6A? Manzano's Jordan Byrd (2018) currently holds an offer from the University of New Mexico and will be one to certainly watch this season. Manzano also has Ryan Moore a DB with an offer from Eastern New Mexico. Eldorado has OL Bryce Wade who holds an offer from New Mexico Highlands. Sandia has a few players getting looks with Ben Bertram (Adams State, Highlands), Jacob Barnhill (Adams State, Olivet Nazerene), and Kolby Ledet (Adams State). Clovis has running back Micah Gray who holds an offer from Eastern New Mexico. Who's the top prospect? Well, grab a bag and throw these names in.

More: District 1-5A | District 2-5A | District 3-5A | District 4-5A | District 5-5A

Grine Predicted Finish

1. #7 Clovis
2. #3 Eldorado
3. #15 Sandia
4. #11 Manzano
5. #13 La Cueva
6. Santa Fe

Explain: I am all over the place, I will contradict my picks and the best thing I can change my mind at some point. I really like Sandia, the are deep. Clovis has one of the best RB cores in the state. Eldorado has some serious weapons that return from guys that experienced the state championship. La Cueva is going to surprise teams and has a good QB to keep a close eye on. Manzano has some athletes in Byrd and Moore.

Studs To Watch

Jordan Byrd, Jr, WR/RB, Manzano
Micah Gray, Sr, RB/FS, Clovis
Ryan Moore, Sr, CB/SS, Manzano
Ben Bertram, Sr, DE/OLB, Sandia
Jacob Barnhill, Sr, OLB, Sandia
Bryce Wade, Sr, OL, Eldorado
Devin Woolsey, Sr, WR/FS, Sandia
Elias Baker, Sr, RB, Eldorado
Chris Campbell, Sr, QB, La Cueva
Jacob Archibeque, Sr, OB/FS, Sandia
Josh Woisin, Sr, MLB/RB, La Cueva