• Poll closed .

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
District 5-5A 2016 Predictions
Grine of NMPreps.com

The Valencia County has produced some talented teams, with a few showings in the state championship game. Throw in the mix of St. Pius a team that has to be considered in the Top-4 for this season in 5A and you could have one of the top districts this season.

More: District 4-6A Predictions

Plenty of the preseason attention will be focused on Los Lunas from VC but Valencia and Belen could be two of the biggest dark horses in 5A. Los Lunas rightfully so deserve the attention with two next level prospects with RB O'maury Samuels lighting up the state of New Mexico.

Three Questions That Will Shape The District

1. St. Pius The Most Balanced Team? Looking at teams that are top-down filled with talent its difficult to not like the Sartans. The question might be, "What is the weakness of the Sartans?". They have a next level QB in Drew Ortiz and a pair of LB's who will play college football. Los Lunas is the early favorite but Sartans might be deeper and more balanced than Los Lunas.

2. Valencia ready for a big year two under HC Collin Justiss? One of the top head coaches in New Mexico took a tough job last summer in terms of returning talent. Well, year two could be a big year as it doesn't take Justiss long to build a program. The Jaguars return a wealth of talent with quarterback Zach Lowe being one of the more under mentioned QBs.

3. How does Samuels handle the attention of star? O'maury Samuels, is the biggest name in New Mexico this season, we all know that. I mean committing to Michigan is HUGE for this state and with that comes plenty of attention. He rushed for around 1,500-yards and 21 touchdowns last season. Anything less could be a let down this year but every district will be focused on the back.

District 5-5A Early Outlook (NMPreps.com Top 50)

Belen Eagles (#26)
Grants Pirates (NR)
Los Lunas Tigers (#22)
St. Pius X Sartans (#25)
Valencia Jaguars (#40)

Predicted Finish

St. Pius X (4-0)
Los Lunas (3-1)
Belen (2-2)
Valencia (1-3)
Grants (0-4)

Explain: I like the Sartans in a 21-20 historic victory over Los Lunas. I could actually see either Valencia or Belen surprising the top two but for ending this explanation I kept is basic. Grants is cellar team but they are playing in a difficult district.

Pre-Season District Awards

Player of the Year Nominations: Drew Ortiz (QB/SPX), O'Maury Samuels (RB/LLHS), Thomas Wisneski (QB/Belen)
QB of the Year: Drew Ortiz (QB/SPX)
Defensive Player of the Year: Trevor Brohard (LB), Austin Schull (LB/SPX)
Coach of the Year: Collin Justiss (Valencia)

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News