Feature: The Unlikely, Upset Worthy, Favorite to Win It All

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
Feature: The Unlikely, Upset Worthy, Favorite to Win It All
Joshua J Grine of NMPreps.com

My first year at NMPreps.com not a single person outside of the 12 basketball players and coaches thought the 7-seed Santa Teresa Desert Warriors would win the State Championship.

Well, they did the unthinkable and won the title that year, in fact most people picked either the 1-2 seeds in Roswell in Goddard it was the 5-seed Gallup who took also played in the title game in the highest two seeds to play for the title.

Today, we give our unlikely favorites.

RIO RANCHO RAMS
Class: 6A
Record: 15-9, 3-3
Seed Potential: 8-11
Why: Many might not consider them an unlikely pick but I don't know a person (maybe one Destiny) who would take the Rams as the upset worthy team to win the title. The Rams would be the unlikely choice however as a potential team on the road in the first road. I like them though with the growing junior talent. Clay Patterson is one of the best guards partnered with Juan Hurt that could be the 1-2 punch in March. Open court on the PIT court could either play either into their favor or hurt them. Throw in the sophomore frontcourt of Joe Emahly and Keyshawn Banks to grow up fast.

Not mentioned because they are either favorites or in top tier: Onate, Cleveland, Cibola, Albuquerque, Carlsbad

LOS LUNAS TIGERS
Class: 5A
Record: 14-9, 6-1
Seed Potential: 5-9
Why: I have a theme going here for the top two classifications going with the junior graduation class. Keyden Walkers paired with an NMPreps.com Mr. Basketball candidate in Martin Trujillo. Throw in freshman point guard Zanen Zeller and Hunter Wisneski in the backcourt along with an underappreciate, high energy forward in Thean Nelson. Pair all of that with a head coach who builds great programs in Travis Julian. This could be his most talented rosters that will go into the tournament as an underdog.

Not mentioned because they are a favorite or top tier: Roswell, Centennial, Grants, Capital

SILVER COLTS
Class: 4A
Record: 15-7, 6-0
Seed Potential: 5-8
Why: A team that his been waiting on the sidelines for a few years but could be the one that you should throw a bet at them. They won't be favorites but definitely have the talent and coach that could take them to the title. The roster is underrated but talents like point guard Joshua Saenz or wing Wyatt Olgesby have been known to go off on any given night. They have several players that could be the leading scoring so the depth is what is under-appreciated with the Colts. Throw in Garrett Laney at the forward spot and Sebastian Cruz in the backcourt.

Reactions: El Muchacho
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News