ADVERTISEMENT

Grine: Week Four Creates Buzz, Confusion & Unanswered Questions

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
Grine: Week Four Creates Buzz, Confusion & Unanswered Questions

The week was packed with games, could be considered the first week of the basketball season as all teams are officially on the board with games. The amount of undefeated teams as dwindled with some movement in our Top-25 rankings we still have plenty to learn about the 2016/2017 season.

Teams that impressed

1. Cleveland: Currently the top ranked in the State of New Mexico with a 7-0 record. The Storm had a close call with fellow Top-25 team in the Los Lunas Tigers (No. 5) but came out on top of their four team round robin.

2. Artesia: The Bulldogs are known for football. A town that bleeds orange now has reason to head over to the Bulldog Pit - So do it! The Bulldogs won their own tournament for the first time in over ten years and large part was a revamped roster but also a well coached team. They are 3-0 on the season with wins over Rio Rancho and Gallup.

3. Hope Christian: It should be against the rules that the 4A power is in this section. Are we ever impressed or is it the norm to expect the Huskies to be ranked high and beating all on their schedule? The Huskies finished the 2016 season ranked number one and they now sit at number two after winning the Joe Armijo Tournament (Albuquerque Academy).

4. Capital: The Jaguars have re-grouped from making a head sctratching decision to let go of Ben Gomez. He has returned and the Jaguars have returned to the top of the state in boys basketball. The took home the championship at the Capitol City tournament with wins over Hobbs and Santa Fe.

Players on the rise

1. Bryce McAlister (Artesia): I am breaking more rules here but if we had our player rankings releasing in December, the top player in the state is Bryce McAlister. The 6-foot-7 guard did it all. I might be premature in saying this but he is the top prospect, he left me in awe, at his size he was a point guard a majority of the time but just made things go.

2. Jarrett Graham (Piedra Vista): We've heard the name however we didn't expect much from the Panthers. They had an overall solid weekend and ranked in the Top-25. He had a 26-point performance last week.

3. Marlon Cunningham (Albuquerque): The big man who has committed to UNM had an 18-point performance as teams will zero in on him all season long. Plenty of talent in New Mexico this season and Cunningham is at the top of that list.

4. Juan Hurt (Rio Rancho): When last seasons Mr. Basketball - Clay Patterson - went down with an injury the savvy guard stepped up. He can stroke from the outside, we knew that, but he penetrated and took over as a floor general. I like this kids attitude and game.

Confusion

Rankings. Yes, we love them, we love to hate them, we love to debate them, we love to talk about them. We love that we will always have them (some of us at least). This is the thing this season - we will have to wait a few more weeks until we see the separation.

6A

Valley: They moved down this week and this is why. We just don't know who they are. They don't have a terrible resume but also the 4-point win over Los Alamos just hurt.

Clovis: Okay, Wildcats I will backpedal fast. I said they were a year away from being a year away from returning. They have solid wins on their resume that include Carlsbad and La Cueva.

Atrisco: Do we know how good they are this season? We didn't expect them to be any place near the Top-10 - they are 9th. They have a lone loss to another surprise team in Eldorado. It might take time but one thing is for certain that Adrian Ortega led teams are always the best underachieving team in NM.

Hobbs: The loss to Capital on the resume doesn't kill them, Capital is 9-0. However, who would ever see the day Hobbs would lose to Capital. We are waiting for the players to return but this could be season we just don't see the Eagles in the PIT. That is something we will have to wait and see.

5A

Top 10? Okay for 8-teams we know they are good but after that is the biggest who the ____ knows.

Kirtland Central: Their is excitement brewing but we are in a waiting game with the Broncos still. The coming weeks the schedule features some tell all games.

Belen: The Eagles beat a good Roswell team. I wouldn't have taken that bet but why bet against head coach Patrick Mondragon. The Eagles are the real deal this season and I don't see us waiting to long to make the claim to pack their backs for the PIT.

St. Pius X: We continue to wait for the Sartans to be the Sartans we know. Another one of those programs that has a head coach that is at the top of the chain. The loss to HIghland just makes us scratch the head.

Los Alamos: It has been a long time - back to the Alex years - that the Hilltoppers have been discussed in basketball. Well, I think they are back - how long is what we have to wait for.

Final Word

Artesia. I can't begin to tell you about a first class place. Top down this town has some special people. I wish I could mention everyone that I met along with the people who I got to talk to again. The ladies that take tickets at the door, the gym master, the administration (AD, assistant principle and more), radio announcers and parents. Oh yeah I can't forget my favorite person in the building my dude Ryder. I spent a few hours talking, laughing and overall just thankful that I met you. Thank you for showing hospitality Artesia. I now claim you my home in the SE corner. PS thanks for adding 10 pounds to the scale (amazing food! We know I love to grub).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News