ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs/Goddard Game & HHT Cleanup

J. Reksat

High School Assistant Coach
Aug 21, 2012
Ok, I am back. Had way too many people home for the Christmas thru New Years events. Most of them could not leave because of flight problems especially back to the far northeast part of the country. Had no time to even check nmpreps.

First off, congratulations to Centennial. I believe that they are the first team in history from Las Cruces to win the title. Those guys deserve to wear that badge of honor. Like I kept saying the HHT this year was unpredictable. Great games. The championship game was electrical and the crowd was screaming so loud at times that it was almost scary.

As for the Hobbs/Goddard game everyone was concerned that Hobbs would be flat and tired playing four games in six days. There were a couple of players that seemed to be somewhere else but Hobbs easily put that game away very early. The JV and the varsity both scored only 93 points each as they were hampered by the mercy rule. Especially the JV as they had it almost the entire second half. Now they look to the Lovington rematch at Tasker. That will be a jam packed night.

Back to Goddard...Only about 175 Goddard people bothered to show up and that counts everybody. Not even the cheerleaders bothered. Their gym seats about 1400-1500 people so the place was a ghost town. Hobbs did manage despite bad roads to bring about 100 paying fans. Although the downstairs was practically empty it is "policy" that all visitors must set upstairs no matter what. (Even if you are elderly and using a cane as one lady discovered.) In questioning this policy the rather rude security guard told us that they do this because Hobbs does it to them. Wow.

One more time just for clarification and for the impaired...The reason that you cannot set downstairs at Tasker Arena is because it is always sold out to season ticket holders and has been for many decades. The waiting list has been long for years and years. Even the center section upstairs on the east side is reserved seating. The situation at Tasker would be like me arriving at WisePies during a sold out UNM game and expecting to "sit" (to make BadNewsBears happy,LOL) wherever I wanted. If you can get a ticket downstairs at Tasker Arena you can use it no matter where you are from. The security guard at Goddard kept checking to make sure that we did not move down to the empty downstairs. Unbelievable. Childish.
This post was edited on 1/4 2:16 PM by J. Reksat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News