ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Las Cruces Names Head Football Coach

kyle h

Hendo
Feb 3, 2005
New Mexico
Mark Lopez named Las Cruces Head Football Coach

1788619.jpg

LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO - Mark Lopez has been named the new Las Cruces Football Coach, taking over for Jim Miller who retired back on March 21, 2016.

Just over month it took Las Cruces Public Schools Athletic Director Ernie Viramontes to hire Lopez over 20 additional candidates.

"Mark will do an outstanding job. He's been with me 18-years and now it is his time. He brings a lot to the table as a Head Coach and loyalty heads that list. Expect Las Cruces High to continue to be a power house football program under Lopez,” Said former Las Cruces Football Coach Jim Miller.

Lopez grew up in Las Cruces, went to Las Cruces High School, his entire family is from Las Cruces, the support shown to him by his family has been huge. “It starts with my wife Luisa, she has been through it all and I would not be in this position if it was not for her. Getting calls and texts from my family this morning is something I am very grateful for.”

Las Cruces has won state football championships in: 2013, 2012, 2008, 2002, 2000, and 1999. Lopez has been on staff for each of those years. He’s been the offensive coordinator for the team since 2007. He’s also coached on the Bulldawg’s Baseball Team for 19 seasons.

“The kids are fired up and they have been anxiously awaiting this position to be filled. They know what to expect, they are familiar with the structure already put into place, and we’re ready to continue what we have going here at Las Cruces High.”

When asked what it would be like to not having Miller on the sidelines, Lopez said there will be an adjustment period. “It will take some time to get used to Coach Miller not being around. However, over the years he has given me more responsibly which has me ready for this transition.”

Lopez currently teaches Weight Training and PE at Las Cruces High. Him and his wife have three children: Aleah who is a junior, Marcos who is in 7th grade, and Sammy who is 3-years old.

The Bulldawgs are coming off a 9-4 season losing to Eldorado 44-42 in the 6A Semifinals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bhertz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News