ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League: UNM Lobo Team Camp (June 11th-14th)

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
As a fan/spectator in the stands with the fellow fans I got to see three games right now. Three varsity teams and two JV teams. As a spectator I will give my recap of what I seen. I will post varsity team, team outlooks from what I see.

VARSIT TEAM OUTLOOKS

Rio Rancho Rams
Played in the 6A Final Four last season

Rio Rancho sneaked out a 3-point win over Frenship (TX). They had a lead early by 12 before Frenship made a come back late and had an opportunity to tie it on consecutive possessions. (On the O): Rio Rancho did what they do well and move the ball quick in transition and that was their first option to push the ball and capitalize on the defense not getting back, which Frenship didn't. They seem to be a dribble-drive offensive team with penetration coming from their point guards, and hitting wings for three's or shooting jumpers. Not much goes into the big men, it is the summer, out of their offense and is a guard orientated team. (On the D): Like expected from a team that thrives on transition O, they press most of the entirety of the game. Looked like a 2-2-1 press or diamond press 1-2-1-1 press but with more pressure on the top from the main guard with wings at half playing high. They put plenty of pressure and allowed lay-ups, if and only if you are able to escape their good immediate pressure.

Players who stood out:
#16 (Big lefty, can dribble and hit shots) - Dirk like player to some extent.
# 7 - Smart, composed shooting guard, that made smart plays. Just like his brother.
#2 - Good little point guard that can be quick off the first dribble. Not consistent from three point land but can hit.
#23 - Likes to hang around the outside and can hit. Not pretty shot but will knock it down, saw him hit three in a row.

This is just a little review from a fan. Maybe get more fans talking hoops this summer.

==================

Santa Rosa Lions
3A State Tournament Team

Santa Rosa took on Highland (JV) and came out with a 12-point plus victory. I only saw a few minutes of this contest. (Overall): Santa Rosa looks very young and a bit different from that of years past. They lacked veterans and could tell on some of their play and decision making. (On the O): Santa Rosa loves to set up their offense and run a flex like offense as a 3-out, 2-in down screen at the block. However, they did push the ball up more in transition. PG (coaches boy) is talented, they have some height.They seem to lack what they had in some of their shooters with this confident shot taker.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News