ADVERTISEMENT

Feature Sunday Blog: 2024 NCAA Football Coach Grine

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
It’s been one week since my son Parker and I started playing EA Sports NCAA Football, each of us on our PS5 and Xbox. We transformed our living room into a true man cave, setting up both TVs side by side and playing on the couch. I haven’t played video games this much in over ten years, but I dedicated an entire week to playing non-stop between work and his football practice. We stayed up until 1:30 a.m. the first night—I was a zombie at work the next day! Normally, I go to bed at 8 p.m. almost every night, or 8:30 if I want to stay up late. Anyway, this blog is about my tenure as Offensive Coordinator (OC) to Head Coach (HC) over five years.

Year One: OC at Alma Mater New Mexico (Record: 7-6 overall)
After a terrible start going 2-4, I got bullied (by my son) into playing on All-American after starting the first two games on varsity, winning against Maine. I went on a little run and made a bowl game, beating Oregon State. I frequently passed to Luke Wysong, making sure he became a Mountain West Conference (MWC) Player of the Week a few times!

Year Two: OC at New Mexico (8-5 overall)
I improved in year two, despite another 2-4 start, with losses to USC and UCLA and a terrible conference loss to Nevada. I was up 28-7 in the third quarter and lost. I should mention I only play offense and use 3-minute quarters. I stayed at UNM despite a few opportunities elsewhere. Made another bowl game beating Navy.

Year Three: HC at South Florida (10-3 overall)
I took my first head coach job at South Florida, and boy, did I go on a run! I finally had a QB who could pass the ball, achieving several 300-yard passing games. However, I still threw two or three interceptions a game. Lost my bowl game though.

Year Four: HC at South Florida (12-1 overall)
I got hot and scheduled a weak lineup, but that’s beside the point—I wanted to win. I went undefeated in the regular season and won my conference. My QB and WR were on the Heisman watch, with the WR finishing second. Despite the success, I got pummeled by Oregon 42-19 in the first round of the College Football Playoff. My kicking and field goals were terrible, and the interceptions haunted me in this game. Nevertheless, I made the College Football Playoff! Here come the offers.

Year Five: HC at Texas (15-0, one game to go)
The offers came in, and the best one was from Texas. Although I hate Texas, it was the best option compared to Oregon State and Cal. I wish I could have coached when Manning was the QB, but he had already graduated. My current QB, Savage, and RB, Ewing, have been monsters, with Ewing winning the Heisman! I’ve reached the national championship game and will play Michigan in the title game later tonight or tomorrow night.

Stay tuned!

---

Post your experiences!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.