ADVERTISEMENT

The single factor that is killing youth sports

Maybe year round club?
Also, communities where every kid that signs up for youth sports doesn’t get to participate. Example: in some communities youth sports are on a system of parent creates team fills team but if you are not already on a team then you hope another team needs a player if not you are out of luck.

It’s pretty bad because a lot of the kids getting left out are kids that may be behind a little bit developmentally so they end up not not playing and then you see them in high school and there absolute physical freaks. Then even when coaches try to get them to play they don’t want to do it and the parents aren’t interested enough to encourage them to do it.

What I have noticed about sports is the fact some youth coaches take the wrong step in developing kids. What I mean by that is if you have a kid that is tall on your basketball team at an easy age, you automatically label him as a center. Then when the kid gets to high school, he isn’t even close to being the tallest kid on your team. My biological dad is 7 feet tall and I am the shortest of all 10 of my siblings. I’m 6’4 but my stepdad, god bless that man, came into my mothers life and he knew we would be tall but trained us to all be guards just in case our height did not pan out. It worked for 3 of us in the long run.
I’m just saying, some of us are taking the wrong approach in youth sports. My adopted son Destin brother is 6’6 but my kid was not blessed with his biological fathers height or his brother height, who is 6’7.
Lol sorry for the tangent just wanted to voice my opinion on this case because kids are left behind when they look at someone they use to play with but that kids was the point guard and you were the center but now we are the same height.

Reactions: Apollo221
The little league baseball team in one of the towns I grew up in couldn't get enough coaches to coach teams. They had plenty of kids (they did a lottery system-ish) but because there wasn't enough coaches to field teams, the league ended up being between 3 teams and having only 2 for the older divisions.

Reactions: Coach-G-4-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT