ADVERTISEMENT

Watson Stadium Getting Massive Video Board

2552XmaX

Junior High (Starter)
Sep 26, 2018
Since Hobbs is sort of lost down here on the razor's edge of Texas I thought I should share some news that I bet few know about. There has been lots of improvements going on for athletic facilities at Hobbs High. Tasker Arena's new floor is beautiful and has two large blowups of Tasker's signature. (However, I hate the two large video boards they installed as they are distracting because they reflect badly on the floor.) The new large wrestling facility is nearing completion. As for Watson Stadium, last year they put in new turf and this year they are now installing a massive video/score board. They have already installed 5 enormous steel support poles to mount it on. I hope the new coaching staff will also have a positive impact. Maybe someday we can actually fill the 15,000 seat stadium up. Things are still booming with a number of large oil/gas facilities in Lea County being announced this past week. Sad news however, people are getting slaughtered like cattle on Lea and Eddy county roads because of the devastating amount of huge trucks on the roads. 5 more were killed this past week in another pile up near Jal. The state needs to make every highway down here four lanes quickly. Housing is still critical even though hundreds of new homes have been added or are being built. They are anticipating the need for 1,000 to 1,200 more homes due to the fact that Lea County is now the number 2 oil producing county in the nation and is expected to become number 1 soon as unbelievable oil and gas reserve numbers were recently announced. Another new apartment complex was announced this week also. It should also be noted that Carlsbad and Artesia are also in boom mode with recent population numbers estimated for Carlsbad to be way over 50,000 now with some folks estimating way over 80,000 which I have trouble grasping since their school enrollment numbers are not increasing much. The explanation for that is that the men are living in huge travel trailer facilities and are not bringing their families with them yet as there is no place to live. One ugly problem with all of this...booms are usually followed by a bust in the oil/gas industry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News