ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5: Grine's Grid Weekly Bracket Watch

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
Week 5: Grine's Grid Weekly Bracket Watch

Now that each team has a record on the board with games under their belt, we start our traction for teams who will make the state tournament in March.

Class 6A Basketball

Bracket
1. Cleveland vs. 16 Centennial
8. Atrisco Heritage Academy vs. 9 Onate
5. Rio Rancho vs. 12 Santa Fe
4. Cibola vs. 13 Hobbs
3. Eldorado vs. 14 Valley
6. Las Cruces vs 11 La Cueva
7. Clovis vs. 10. Carlsbad
2. Albuquerque vs. 15 Sandia

4 Bubbles
17. Volcano Vista
18. West Mesa
19. Piedra Vista
20. Highland
21. Mayfield
22. Rio Grande
23. Gadsden
24. Manzano

Autos - District Champs
D1-6A: Cleveland
D2-6A: Eldorado
D3-6A: Las Cruces
D4-6A: Albuquerque

Rapid Fire

Pleasant Surprise: Clovis. I've mentioned this before but I am surprised with the recent 3-1 record in their last four games with wins over La Cueva and Carlsbad. Am I sold - nope but there is opportunities against Roswell, Hobbs and Portales in the coming weeks.

Unhappy Surprise: Valley. Waaay back into April 2016, our Way to Early Rankings, we had Valley ranked second. I'm not jumping off the wagon, 5-2 is not bad, but sometimes the results make you question that.

Deja Vu: Rio Rancho. With Patterson going down, who was awarded the best player in basketball last season, the Rams could drop some games. It will hurt the resume but if you are a betting man (I know there is) the Rams could be the team with a seed in 6-10 (...11) and still win it all.

District Love: 1-6A. I have to give them the love with better seeds. They should all have the resume to find three in the top-8. However, PV and VV could bring it down.

District Slap: 3-6A. The District with talent but not the District I am sold on after seeing the predicted title team. However, this district usually turns into the surprise District. So, I have time to contradicted myself.

District Cellar. 4-6A. The football theme continues here. Atrisco the early riser but we wait until the end of this week to confirm.

Class 5A Basketball

Bracket
1. Farmington vs 16 Goddard
8. Alamogordo vs 9. Kirtland Central
5. Roswell vs. 12 Gallup
4. Capital vs 13 Del Norte
3. Artesia vs 14 Los Alamos
6. Espanola Valley vs 11 St. Pius X
7. Grants vs 10 Belen
2. Los Lunas vs 15 Santa Teresa

Bubbles
17. Lovington
18. Deming
19. Bloomfield
20. Aztec
21. Miyamura
22. Valencia
23. Albuquerque Academy
24. Chaparral

Autos: District Champ Predictions
D1-5A: Farmington
D2-5A: Capital
D3-5A: Alamogordo
D4-5A: Artesia
D5-5A: Los Lunas

Rapid Fire

1-Seed Questions: Farmington. Yes, this will shock most people with them as a possible one seed. This is the reasoning. The other districts have two/three top tier teams. They get a chance on the 28th at the Poe Corn tournament against Artesia to make the true case. The schedule however shouldn't be a problem to win out after the Poe Corn.

Next DC: Los Lunas, Capital, Artesia. Predicted as DC's and the team with the hardest road could be Artesia as they face Capital, Farmington along with having faced Rio Rancho pre-district.

District beat down: 5-5A. The district is tough, people might argue that (insert team) should be a better seed. However, some could get beat up in their own quest to a home game in the first round. The only other slot I could see open for a possible district third place finisher to climb into the top-8 is D3-5A being below par.

Bubble: Lovington. This team sort of being pushed on the fringe right now but a win in district will get them in. Also, I could see them overtaking a struggling Goddard unit.

Thoughts. This bracket from 1-14 is tough. I know we say it a lot but this years bracket has some serious talent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News