Week One Reactions

J Grine

NMPreps Hall Of Fame
Staff
Oct 31, 2010
Rio Rancho
Post thoughts on games, etc.

Blog: No. 20 Capital 62, Santa Fe Indian 41- Wednesday Night, November 18th
Well, the top half of the week is done. I agree with statements made above by NM_Shock. It is hard to get a read on the Capital Jaguars but what I saw was coach Ben Gomez do a phenomenal job manage this contest against a team that was playing "street ball" for the lack of a better term.

There is uptempo ball, I think Rio Rancho, who have a pattern and some discipline and then there is "here's a basketball, go crazy y'all". Santa Fe Indian took any and all open shots. I know it's game one but was taken back on this one. Santa Fe Indian will cause problems for some teams, luckily for the Jaguars they have a coach who knew how to manage this game and settle his players when needed.

Players
Eric Coca was a bit rushed with his decisions on attacking the paint with the style of Braves in the first quarter but quickly controlled the pace and had a stellar second quarter. He was a smart player and was a floor general out there. I sort of thought of him like Tim Jacobs of Onate from 2011. Not the same size but the coach on the court, controlled the pace and hit the open shot.

Capital has a sophomore guard that I really like. Young but quality little guard. Jeremy Anaya played well and a couple nice drives (one video).

Capital's defense was on-point. They new when to attack in transition or when a weaker guard was caught in the backcourt. Definitely could elaborate more on that.

The Extra
Food:
I would run an on-going ranking of concession stands, well sorry the food critic couldn't wait in line. Every student at SFIS was in line both times I went up there.

Atmosphere: This gym is amazing. Not a bad seat in the house. Also, people are so nice in Santa Fe, welcoming folks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News