District 1-6A
Cleveland Storm (5-0)
Rio Rancho Rams (4-1)
Cibola Cougars (3-2)
Volcano Vista Hawks (2-3)
West Mesa Mustangs (1-4)
Atrisco Heritage Academy (0-5)

Potential Playoff Teams: 4 Teams

What Ya Got: Right now you might be thinking, Why do you have Rio Rancho (1-4) predicted to finish second? The Rams are getting better and gave previously number one La Cueva (No. 2 in Week 6) all they could handle last week.

Hmmm: Volcano Vista is currently ranked 5th in the state but outside their week one game against La Cueva they have played three unranked teams with a combined record of (3-12). Cibola's schedule is not that much stronger but the past two weeks they have faced teams ranked in the top-4 of their classification (La Cueva & Los Lunas). The fun note will be the final night on November 2nd as Cibola and Volcano Vista meet; it could possibly be for a first round home game in the playoffs.

District 2-6A
La Cueva Bears (4-0)
Clovis Wildcats (3-1)
Eldorado Eagles (2-2)
Manzano Monarchs (0-3-1)
Sandia Matadors (0-3-1)

Potential Playoff Teams: 3/4 Teams

Battle for 2nd: The Eldorado Eagles went from state title contender to a possible third place finish... well today we have them at third. Losing quarterback Gabe Smith has that affect. Yes, they have some players like Elijah Goree to carry the load but Smith was special. The young Clovis Wildcats have some experienced players that can guide them here after a brutal non-district schedule.

Cop-out: Manzano and Sandia will tie 20-20 in their contest. Yes, I try to make the decision even though it's a coin flip. However, with a few ties here (and in the NFL) why not when I am at a true 50/50 split, today. They are both playing for 12-seed if this ends like this is could be in for one, both or both at home. The bubble is going to be interesting this season.

District 3-6A
Centennial (5-1)
Las Cruces (5-1)
Hobbs (5-1)
Mayfield (3-3)
Carlsbad (2-4)
Gadsden (1-5)
Onate (0-6)

Potential Playoff Teams: 4/5 Teams

Five Bid League: If any district can get five teams in, it would be this district. Not saying that it's the toughest but with Carlsbad at projected 5th it could happen. They have a small edge in the freeman rankings over Manzano and Sandia from 2-6A and that would have to remain the rest of the way.

Three to Tango: Not ready to make a decision today. Okay I know I'm doing what I hate and not making a decision before it happens (I can later say not an upset to me or I saw that coming if I don't make a bold statement beforehand). Okay, I will and won't make a prediction, if I had to say I would go Centennial has the edge today with a small gap and then Las Cruces-Hobbs near 50/50 (that gets settled this week).

5A FOOTBALL

District 1-5A
1. Piedra Vista (3-0)
2. Farmington (2-1)
3. Miyamura (1-2)
4. Highalnd (1-3)

Northwest Deal: No idea what is happening in Farmington, at Piedra Vista. I like the coaching staff though and I feel if they are "back" and they can make some serious noise in the playoffs. Farmington is good, good enough to make the playoffs. Miyamura will have that win that gets them into the 2019 season! The coaching legacy is there. Highland is young but doing well I just think Miyamura gets that win to send them off.

Playoff teams 2

District 2-5A
1. Del Norte (3-0)
2. Los Alamos (2-1)
3. Capital (1-2)
4. Santa Fe (0-3)

What's the Word: Well, on the one-hit wonder... MMMBop by Hanson Boys... I have no idea what to think about this district. Should we wait and see what happens with Luke Padilla (Capital) and if they can be the top team again or does their fall in the charts go to fourth? Santa Fe is the young Demons doing big things, in my opinion a year in advance (coaching y'all), can they sneak up to third? Del Norte is good. Coach Binkley is a dude I could play for and he will have this team going by district with quarterback Christian Mejia on the rise. Los Alamos is our wild card. Yes, they have the Bloomfield win but "only" a 7-point win over Gallup doesn't speak playoffs (yes in the Jim Mora voice).

Playoff Teams: 1 maybe 2

District 3-5A
1. Artesia (3-0)
2. Roswell (2-1)
3. Goddard (1-2)
4. Alamogordo (0-3)

Semi-Finals Kind of Mind: Artesia is still king until proven otherwise. They have some key players and you should already know the name J.R. Bustamante (Artesia/WR). Roswell has the QB, a RB, and one of the top LB in the state... Cade Manzanares for those wondering. Include him in the Dion Hunter (Cleveland HS) and Fred Mady III (La Cueva HS) conversation. Goddard, the young Rockets a year early but young guys struggle in the grind. They do have some upperclassmen that should have more love but we know what we are able to see on film. Outside of the top dog (Artesia) we only hear from them of the top three. Alamogordo is improved, we see it, but they are playing with three potential final four teams.

Playoff Teams: 3

District 4-5A
1. Los Lunas (3-0)
2. Belen (2-1)
3. Valley (1-2)
4. Valencia (0-3)

Two Maybe Three: Okay, this district during my initial preseason look (way back to January for you keeping count) was the going to feature three teams with home games at state. Now, maybe one get the nod but likely two. Valencia could play into the sleeper/dark horse conversation for sneaking into state and getting a win.

Playoff Teams: 3

District 5-5A
1. Santa Teresa (3-0)
2. Silver (2-1)
3. Deming (1-2)
4. Chaparral (0-3)
*Silver is 4A but playing in a 5A district

What to Do: Well, I guess we couldn't decided what to do with Silver. So let's make them compete in 5A but also be 4A. Also, they have a chance to be a favorite to win it. Also, they've played a very difficult schedule and have key injuries but playing up shouldn't hurt (pun?). This is the deal, the Santa Teresa Desert Warriors could be the Champs out right or the 2-1 champs but not champs. What I do know is that coach Shae Vierra has done an outstanding job and should be remembered like Bob Haack when he leaves/retires (boys basketball coach that won state in 2012). The Desert Warriors could earn their highest seed if they run the table but recent prediction has them at 8-2, up from 7-3.

Playoff Teams: 2

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News