With 16 returning starters, Alamogordo has high expectations in 2015

kyle h

Hendo
Feb 3, 2005
New Mexico
With 16 returning starters, Alamogordo has high expectations in 2015
By: Kyle Henderson of NMpreps.com

Overview

The last time I visited Alamogordo was just before the 2013 season when Dale Hooper had first taken over as Head Coach replacing Tommy Standefer. How much the program has developed since that time, I was thinking if 2013 Alamogordo Team that finished 1-9 on the season was to play this incoming 2015 Alamogordo team the score would probably be 50-0 by half-time. Part of that thought is because Alamogordo just has a solid senior class with many returning already two-year lettermen. Last year the Tigers took baby steps forward starting the year off 5-1 before going 0-3 in district play losing their last 4-games of the season.

What To Expect In 2015

Once again the Tigers return the most returning starters out of any district team with 16. They return 10 on offense and 6 on defense. That experience has provided high expectations around the Alamogordo community, the Tigers now have a new turf stadium which is beautiful and brand new weight room up there with Hobbs’ weight room (yes it’s that nice).

“It’s taken a while to get these kids into our weight program, I think that is a huge part and most of these kids started for me my first year here and they played a pretty tough schedule and now as incoming seniors they have a lot of game experience. We also have not changed is how we run the offense and defense, that hasn’t changed in three-years so these kids know everything on both sides of the football,” said Head Alamogordo Football Coach Dale Hooper who is 6-14 in two-years at Alamogordo.

The Tigers have had a stellar summer season and return a ton of top level skill position players. Hooper’s Son Kyle is a 6-foot-3, 175 pound Junior Quarterback that threw for 2,065-yards and 31 touchdowns breaking 6 school records last year as just a sophomore.

His primary targets include Julian Segura a 6-foot-3, 195 pound next level prospect that has impressed time and time again this summer. Besides running crisp routes he’s got the best hands in New Mexico and is super physical at nearly 200 pounds. Junior to be Alex Ramirez at 5-foot-10, 185 pounds really impressed us yesterday and is a shifty receiver with excellent hands.

Also watch for Carlton Bartley at 6-foot-3 and 175 pounds who will be split wide. In the backfield is 5-foot-11, 200 pound Hunter Graham who is who has speed, power, great side to side ability, and good football instincts. Consider Graham a home-run hitter if you will. Also in the backfield is Carlos Hicks who is a speed type back at 5-foot-6 and 160 pounds. Up front Nathan Martin returns at 6-foot-2, 235 pounds, Nathan Nowell is 6-foot-0, 225 pounds, Herbert Huffman is 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, Nathan Reuss returns up front, and Santiago Trujillo returns at 220 pounds.

On the defensive side of the football Alamogordo returns 6 with Nathan Silva leading the linebacker corps. At just 5-foot-5 and 165 pounds Silva has a nose for the football we’re told and loves to get after it. Marcello Barrientoz will be moved from offense to defense where he’ll serve as a very good defensive back along with Brandon Henderson, that’s a very good duo in the secondary. A new name that also impressed us was Jacob Gerber who looked tough as nails and also made quite a few plays on the field on Wednesday. Isaiah Saldana will be a three-year starter and can play pretty much anything: QB, WR, TE, but this year he’ll be their outside backer and he’s just a play-maker, one of their top overall athletes. Up front the Tigers are anchored by nose: Peter Sanders who equates nearly 500 pounds.

16 Returning Starters

Alex Ramirez - receiver - junior
Brandon Henderson - Defensive Back - Senior
Brandon Henderson - receiver/linebacker - senior - big year
Carlos Hicks - Defensive Backs/Running Back - Senior
Dewy huffman - left tackle - Junior
Hunter Graham - Running Back - Senior
Isiash Saldana - Outside linebacker - Senior
Julian Segura - receiver - Senior -
Kyle Hopper - Quarterback - Junior
Marcello Barrientoz - Defensive Back - Senior
Nathaniel Martin - Right Tackle - Senior
Nathaniel noel - Guard - Senior
Nathaniel Reuss - Offensive Line - Senior
Nathan Silva - MLB - Senior
Peter Sanders - Nose - Senior
Santiago Trujillo - Center - Junior

2015 Football Schedule

“Our first game is against Valencia and we don’t know too much about them being they have a new coach and likely a new scheme, have not seen them at any tournaments, or anything like that. Our community is excited about opening night and we’re looking forward to that one. We have Los Lunas over there and I think Los Lunas is going to be a much improved team, they got a heck of a good running back, coaching staff, and return a good quarterback, I am expecting big things about of Los Lunas and overall we are not going to take any teams lightly. We got Highland and Mayfield here which is a huge game, Gadsden, Deming, and then it’s district, just a tough end of the year schedule. We battled with Hobbs this summer in 7-On’s, Clovis is just Clovis always good, and now Bradley at Carlsbad is going to bring a new scheme,” Said Hooper.

8-28 - Valencia
9/4 - @ Los Lunas
9/11 - @ Highland
9/18 - Mayfield
9/25 @ Gadsden
10-2 Deming
10/9 @ Artesia
10/23 Carlsbad
10/30 Clovis
11/6 @ Hobbs

Senior Quote

We caught up with 6-foot-3, 195 pound Julian Segura on Wednesday to get his thoughts on what it’s like to represent the Alamogordo Tigers. “I love being a Tiger and every night strapping it up for the Tiger’s it’s a blessing. The school pride towards our program has picked up after last year and there are a lot of people excited about this year and I can’t wait to see our stadium packed on Friday Nights,” said Segura.

Our Take

They have come a long way since 2013 and this is without question going to be the best Alamogordo has been in several seasons. They are loaded with skill position players, playmakers, and while it’s tough to get a gage at the defense early on, Alamogordo is going to win some ball games and play teams they lost to last year down the wire or even win those games in 2015. Likely a playoff team and its going to be disappointing to this bunch if they don’t make the final round of 12 because of the talent level and the level of overall experience. Head Coach Dale Hooper has brought some great add ons to Alamogordo and the community is right to have high expectations going in. It’s going to be quite a ride for the Tigers in 2015, consider us on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News