ADVERTISEMENT

New Schools

Audit Man

High School Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2007
Are any towns getting close to the point where a new high school might be needed? Has the population growth in Rio Rancho slowed down enough that a new school would be in the distant future?

Are any towns getting close to the point where a new high school might be needed? Has the population growth in Rio Rancho slowed down enough that a new school would be in the distant future?
RRPS' most recent master plan indicated that the two high schools would add about 380 students between them over the next 4-5 years. Based on that, the district is not planning a new high school any time soon.

SFPS is growing the Mandela Magnet School. Its a International Baccalaureate offering grades 7-11. Full 7-12 starting next year and i hear their administration wants a full sports lineup including football. 200+/- should put them in 2A.

Reactions: ITSC-Ret
Not that any communities in New Mexico are growing at a fast rate, but the continuing growth of charter/alternative schools makes it even less likely that new comprehensive high schools will be opening.

Reactions: Zebra9809
Twelve years ago, the Rio Rancho Master Plan indicated that they would need a third high school by 2018 but that was when the community was growing by 1,000 + kids a year. @ANR1 is correct, the district is not growing enough to warrant a new high school and while Rio Rancho and Cleveland might be operating at capacity, they can take care of minimal overcrowding with portables. I suspect that if Rio Rancho does anything, it will be opening an Early College High School like so many other districts have done before them. I do believe that RRPS owns a comprehensive high school site in the southern part of town in the event that they need it. I am not 100% sure about that.

APS might need another west side high school in 10 year or so and the master plan for the area around the new APS west side stadium has a high school site planned and I believe APS bought the land. It would be across from the APS stadium adjacent to where the district is building the new K-8 school. Development on the west side is doing well again after several years of stagnation. If APS does need a new west side high school, I believe it could be at the expense of an east side school, which are seeing declining enrollments. Which means, it could re-purpose an existing east side school into a magnet or some other type of facility like they almost did with Del Norte a few years before they renovated and rebuilt that school and that school would cease to exist as we know it today - just speculation on my part.

I would also keep my eye on the Santa Teresa area for a school 10-15 years in the future. There is quite a bit of residential platting and subdivisions going in in response to the Union Pacific yards and the associated development in the industrial parks and the new San Jeronimo community on the Mexican side. But I think it is still way off.

A few communities have or are in the reprocess of rebuilding their high schools - Deming, Lordsburg, Reserve, Capitan but these are not new. Only replacements for their current buildings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT